Monday, November 3, 2008

DC ends it at first corner



VETERAN David Coulthard said he felt "gutted" on Sunday when his final Formula One race before retirement ended at the first corner of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

As his one-time junior protege at McLaren, Lewis Hamilton, took the world title with a dramatic pass at the final corner after 71 laps, the 37-year-old Scot was left to reflect on what might have been.

He admitted he hoped that his final outing for Red Bull would have lasted longer and given him greater satisfaction than a first corner collision with two cars from the team that launched his career Williams.

Coulthard brought down the curtain on a 15-year career that spanned 246 Grands Prix when he was sent spinning by German Nico Rosberg and then hit by his Williams' teammate Japanese Kazuki Nakajima.

He said: "I'm pretty gutted it's not how I wanted to end my career.

"I took a cautious approach into Turn One and left plenty of space for the car on the inside, but unfortunately I think Rosberg hit me at Turn Two, which spun me round. I thought it would be okay, but then Nakajima ran into the front of my car and took off the front corner.

"I wanted to get to the chequered flag. I was going to do some donuts for the crowd ... but it didn't work out." AFP

No comments:

'Create
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!