Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Nakajima's nerves jangle ahead of first-ever home Grand Prix




KAZUKI NAKAJIMA admits the nerves are jangling ahead of his first-ever home Grand Prix, but the rookie Williams driver is determined to put on a show for his fans.

He is the only Japanese driver in the field at Fuji Speedway this weekend, but is riding high after the team announced last week it would retain him for the 2009 season.

Williams Team Principal Frank Williams said Nakajima was getting stronger by the race and the Japanese star, who knows the circuit in the foothills of Mount Fuji well, is determined to again prove his credentials on Sunday.

"I'm really excited about my home Grand Prix and this will be the first time I've been back to Fuji for three years," he said.

"It used to be my Formula 3 team's home track so I lived in the area for a year. It feels really good to be going back, and this time I'll be driving a Formula One car so I can't wait."

Japanese Formula One fans are renowned for their fervent support of home drivers and they will be expecting their hero not to disappoint.

Nakajima knows the pressure is on.

"I think there will be some expectation from the fans because I'm the only Japanese driver at the moment so I'm a bit more nervous for this race," he admitted.

"The atmosphere will be great though and I'll just do my best to relax, enjoy the weekend and hopefully bring home some points."

Nakajima currently lies in 15th place in the drivers' standings while Williams are eighth in the constructors' race.

A second place for Nakajima's teammate Nico Rosberg at the last Grand Prix in Singapore has raised hopes of another podium finish for Williams this weekend.AFP

No comments:

'Create
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!