Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It was my time to work hard: Kawashima


PrintE-mail

eiji_kawashima_3x2_02Doha: Japan goalkeeper Eiji Kawashima said he knew it was his time to shine as he saved two penalties in a shootout against Korea Republic on Tuesday to send his side through to the AFC Asian Cup final.

Hwang Jae-won had sent the game at the Al Gharafa Stadium to penalties when he levelled the score for the Koreans at 2-2 with just seconds left in extra-time.

But Kawashima emerged as Japan’s hero, stopping spot kicks by Koo Jae-cheol and Lee Yong-rae while Hong Jeong-ho shot wide as the Blue Samurai won the shootout 3-0 to advance to meet Australia in Saturday’s final at the Khalifa Stadium.

The Lierse goalkeeper was feted by his teammates for his heroics in the shootout but he felt that he was simply doing his job on the pitch.

“Over 120 minutes, every player worked really hard so I was thinking that when it came to penalties, it was going to be my time to work,” the 27-year-old said.

With his team having allowed the Koreans to get back on level terms so late on, Kawashima was determined to lift his side in the shootout.

“I saw that everybody’s head was down and the atmosphere was a bit strange because we had conceded the goal so close to the end of the game. But I knew it was not finished so I just focussed on the penalties.

“Everybody on my team was coming and saying things but I just kept my mind on what I had to do. We are a team and we all work for each other and it was my time to work.”

Forward Kesiuke Honda had failed to dispatch a penalty in extra-time although he was bailed out by teammate Hajime Hosogai, who followed up to put the Japanese 2-1 up. But Honda kept his nerve in the shootout and put his side ahead with an unstoppable effort into the top right corner before Shinji Okazaki and Yasuyuki Konno also converted to send
Japan through.

“I feel good and I’m very happy,” said the CSKA Moscow player, who was named the Man of the Match.

“I don’t think we could have given any more than we gave today. It was a very difficult game so we can take great satisfaction with this victory.”


No comments:

'Create
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!